History & Operation
RARA was founded in 1995 by a group of active amateur radio operators from several regions of the United States. The club has been incorporated and is governed by a five member board. The board is elected by the membership each year for a one-year term. Today, the club is international in scope with about 300 members around the world. RARA's annual meeting is held when members gather at the Dayton Hamvention in May.
RARA was founded to meet the needs of the LGBT community. Our purpose is:
- To promote the Amateur Radio Service
- To foster friendship and goodwill
- To educate members and the public about amateur radio operations, skills, and licensing
- To offer support and a sense of community to all individuals who are supportive of sexual minorities and their lifestyles, and who share a common interest in Amateur Radio
The membership in RARA is very diverse. Our club is comprised of a wide range of age groups. We have students, retirees, and those working in both technical and non-technical careers. Our members are friendly and enjoy interacting with one another. The club has several affiliated chapters:
The roster is confidential and distribution outside of the membership is prohibited.
- Sunshine Chapter - Central and South Florida
- Finger Lakes Chapter - Rochester and Western New York
- Lonestar Chapter - Dallas and surrounding areas
- Great Lakes Chapter - Michigan, Ohio and surrounding states
RARA is definitely a "fun" club. Here are some of our events:
By joining RARA, you will join a family of good friends who share a common interest in Ham Radio and other technically related hobbies.
- Several weekly on-air HF and VOIP nets
- An Internet Message Board and members-only Yahoo! e-mail. We also have a private Facebook group.
- Occasional operating activities
- Service recognition and achievement awards
- Hospitality Suites at major hamfests
- Dinners/Gatherings at major hamfests, including the Dayton Hamvention and the Orlando Hamcation
How To Join
An amateur radio license is not required for membership (however, it is a prerequisite for Board Members). You must be at least 18 years of age to join RARA. Annual membership dues are $10 for individuals, $15 for you and your partner/spouse. Donations are always appreciated. You may send a check for dues and/or donations, or use one of the PayPal buttons at the bottom of this page. Our mailing address is:
RARA, PO BOX 18541, ROCHESTER NY 14618-0541, USA
For more information, you may send your inquiry to the above address.
Or, if you're ready to join, and are using either Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox (with Adobe Flash enabled), complete our online membership application. Please note that Chrome or Edge will not currently launch the online application page. Processing of applications may take up to 30 days depending on date of submission.
Members may pay their dues by sending a check to the above PO Box, or, by using one of the PayPal buttons below:
Donations are always appreciated.